Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Amapola" Returns, Summoned by a Rhythm


       What prompts you to remember a forgotten song?  It might be a word.  It might be just the rhythm of a word.

       Connie brought home an easy-to-make dinner called "Steak Gorgonzola."   I said it aloud with the 4-syllable rhythm (GOR-guhn-ZO-luh) and immediately began humming a tune from somewhere.  As I went on wordlessly, recalling the whole melody as I went, Connie asked, "What is it?"  "I don't know," I said.

       But I thought about it, and another word came to me, "Caledonia." It would fit the rhythm...but wasn't that another song?

       Finally it hit--"Amapola."  Wikipedia brought rest of the words, etc.; reached top of the charts in 1941; song began with the title name.  Many, many years since it had passed my ears, lips, or thoughts. 

       Oh heck, why don't I just sing it for you?



       


                            

1 comment: