Thursday, January 10, 2013

"Time Is Money" Is No Excuse


       "Market Place" is a pretty good daily public radio show, and I listen from time to time, but I have a  pet peeve.    Host Kai Ryssdal is amiable, easy to listen to, and a competent interviewer, I'd say.  But he always ends his interviews with "Thank you for your time."

       It probably bothers me because as a college prof, when a student once said to me at the end of an office hour visit, "Thank you for your time," I felt insulted.  If that's all I gave him during our visit, I must have failed.

       Kai, a "thanks" alone might be enough.  Maybe a "Thanks for that insight" or "Thanks for the benefit of your experience" or even "Thanks for your opinion" would suggest the value of the interview and express appreciation.  Presumably your guest is doing something more than just hanging out with you.




1 comment:

  1. Dear Professor Salper:

    Thank you for your entertaining blog entries, your friendship and support. With each blog entry, I find myself imagining you, sitting a desk, and taking time to consider all things Salper. Thank you for JOY

    ReplyDelete