Wednesday, January 2, 2013

By All Means, Banish "Fiscal Cliff"


       The "Overused Words List" is out from Michigan's Lake Superior State University, an annual New Year's event.  Among the popular nominations, with selected reasons:

       Fiscal Cliff--receiving the greatest number of complaints, one nominator having the most personal reason to decry the endless use of the term:  Barbara CLIFF, Johnstown, Pennsylvania.

       Kick the Can Down the Road--"I'm surprised it wasn't on your 2012 list--were you just kicking the, um, phrase down the road to 2013?"--T. Jones, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

        Double Down--a blackjack term; "Over-used within the last year or so in politics."--John Gates, Cumberland, Maine.

       Trending--"A trend is something temporary, thank goodness; however, it is not a verb, and I'm tired of news stations telling me what trite 'news' is 'trending.'"--Kyle Melton, White Lake, Michigan.

         


1 comment:

  1. I am going to double down that you, the mighty Don el Blogger will find yourself as a trending topic vis-a-vis the eloquence of your blogging.

    If I am incorrect, then I will kick my can of words all the way down the road, and over the cliff.

    ReplyDelete