Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Lurid Always Rings Twice

"Hook me, Frank, hook me."

No, that isn't what my wife said as she approached me this morning to help her hook her bra in back.  It was simply "Hook me."  But whenever she asks, I flash back to the time in 8th grade Milt Gordon, Ev Karon, and I had discovered a paperback of James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice.  Inside the lurid front cover was a snippet from the book in which the female character, a waitress, is saying to her boss at a roadside diner as he hovers over her, "Rip me, Frank, rip me."   The three of us looked at each other, mouths gaping, "Wow!"

So when Connie asks, I smile and say, "Hook me, Frank, hook me."

(As Connie pointed out, it's the reverse of what's happening in the novel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment