Thursday, November 22, 2012

"Thanks" Also Due to Samuel Johnson

       Eating breakfast out on Thanksgiving Day this morning with our two children, son-in-law, and grandson, the spirits were running high along with the volume.

       The breakfast sandwich at Brueggers' was good, and I was trying to concentrate on enjoying it.   Since I had not been very communicative, in fact, annoyed a bit with the chattering around me, I said pointedly, "Excuse me for concentrating on my food."

       This immediately brought back Dr. Samuel Johnson's remark, which I then repeated to my voluble family:

        "A man who pays no attention to his stomach will pay little attention to anything else."

1 comment:

  1. This is of particular interest, as I can imagine your utterance of "concentrating on my food."...

    Often times Mr. John lives by this creed, and also a dosing of hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete