Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's Hebrew that Carries Your Groceries

       I noticed in the Jewish Journal today a little feature called "HEBREW [Word of the Week]."  It instantly reminded me of the Hebrew study I did as an adult at the American Jewish University.

       I kept searching for words that were similar to English words.  Needle in a haystack time!  The word I found that stunned me was "sack" [ שק].  How did it get into English?  The American Heritage Dictionary even does a special "word history" on it.

        In the ancient Middle East Palestine was on a trade route.  Products had to be carried and transported.  Along with the goods went the containers that held them and the container names, from country to country, including to German tribes; so into German, and finally Old English,  a Germanic language.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment