Thursday, January 5, 2017

"Who's on Foist?"


       I was struck with the word "foist."  Strange word.  "Fast," "fist," and "first" are all a lot easier to say.  Coming off the [f] sound with upper teeth on lower lip, one has to (for "foist") purse the same lip to utter the [AWih] sound, then back to straight-lipped [st].  It wrenches the organs of speech within a single syllable.

       Then I thought of "hoist," which at least begins with the mouth open for [h], and that reminded me of "hoist with his own petar'," which I learned from a fellow draftee in the Korean War who one-upped me with my not knowing it, and I'll point you here.

       Finally I thought of "Who's on foist?" the old Abbott and Costello routine, which has stuck around somehow in the ether of my mind.

       

       

No comments:

Post a Comment