Saturday, January 14, 2017

Maybe an Argument for Stage Names?


      It's amazing how much I am dependent on the visual in order to remember, spell, pronounce, even identify names. 

       A certain broadcaster on KCRW-FM says his name at the beginning of every stint on the air, and for years I have never been able to quite grasp it.

       Today I saw it in print for the first time!  I had thought it must be something like "Cheesecake" because that was the closest I could make it out to be orally.

       But before my eyes were syllables I had never seen together in one word:   Chiotakis.  Maybe that's why I have been unable to repeat it even after I've heard it on the air dozens and dozens of times.

       I needed to see it before I could say it, and now remember it:  Steve Chiotakis.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment