Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"Free Knowledge"


       I made a contribution to Wikipedia for the many times it has served me and read the Wikipedia aspiration and so far successfully obtained goal:  "free knowledge" to anybody anywhere in the world.

       As my eyes hit "free knowledge," I kept reading it at first as "tree of knowledge."  Of course, Wikipedia does "branch out," way out!

       "Tree knowledge" used to be true in the sense that trees were cut down to supply the books that held our knowledge:  I grew up reading the encyclopedia called Book of Knowledge--reading it alphabetically every day at noon during lunch time.

        But "free knowledge" is some kind of aspiration; it almost seems like a contradiction in terms, yet it's happening online.  May Wikipedia hold fast to spreading its "branches" in ever widening circles of service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment