Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Something ELSE to atone for?!


       The concluding Day of Atonement service was coming to an end; most in attendance were surely hungry and perhaps a little weak from fasting; two weeks of trying to mend one's ways and plan and promise for better behavior in the year ahead lay behind.

       The rabbi's voice was still strong and urgent in final penitence and ready to ask God to accept our prayers and write us in the book of life for the coming year before the gate was closed.

       We read along with him in the book or tried to track the hurried Hebrew if we could, but at last I simply listened as the rabbi read from The Gates of Repentance.

       What I could not believe but most assuredly heard in stentorian tones was:

                    "Now send forth Your hidden light and open to Your servants the gates of Hell."

        WHAT?

        Trying to restrain my incredulity and then my fervent impulse to laughter, I finally fumbled and found the place in the text.  The word was "help."  Little closing sounds can get lost to the ear.  BUT SOMEONE SHOULD NEVER HAVE WRITTEN THAT WORD AT ALL, knowing what it might sound like! 

       I did restrain my mirth from others hearing and made my way from the synagogue, smiling, a little faint and confused, and figured it's all part of the emotions of the day that one seeks restitution with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment