Monday, April 20, 2015

Earthday. Birthday, Breathday: Part 3


       This “ultimate embarrassment” following on Creation will, for me, come to an end.  And I was reminded how soon that might be by a recent attack of asthma.  The strength of the attack and the care and medicines I received for it have me saying

       I thank you God for this breath, and
       I thank you God for this breath

Breath and spirit are the same:  both invisible, both palpable, both vital; one earthly, one Heavenly.  And “spirit” indeed means "breath."  Cummings recognizes the connection and the breathing:

       how should tasting touching seeing hearing
       breathing any--lifted from the no
       of all nothing--human merely being
       doubt unimaginable You?

             (Concluded tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment