Saturday, February 28, 2015

Repetition Is a High Order Use of Language


       In traversing by car from Sylmar to my house, I'm moving on one freeway very quickly to another freeway and then going under two other freeways before arriving home.

       It's a new route to me, and because I'm not only switching freeways but have to avoid exiting onto two other freeways while remaining on the second, I find myself talking to myself about which lane I should be in at each stage for best and safest driving.

       Maybe it's my age, but I need this kind of self-talking to reenforce choosing the correct turns and eschewing the wrong ones.

       Sometimes one feels dumb or nutty trying to learn something new and repeating and even rehearsing it to oneself to set it in memory.

       But for me it's a high order use of LANGUAGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment