Friday, May 30, 2014

Chili


       Connie made it.  We had leftovers.  I looked at it in a little bowl in the refrigerator and said, "Chili con Carne."  That's what we called it when my mother made it back in St. Paul when I was a kid.  Connie had called it Chili.

       In childhood, we pronounced it [kahn KAR-nee], with "carne" sounding like carnival, and isn't a "carney" someone who works with carnivals?   But "con carne" does mean "with meat," and chili con carne was beans with meat and chile pepper or powder, and still is! 

       I find surprisingly that "carnival" relates to meat.  It's from Latin meaning "removal of meat":  "Carnival" was originally a festival before Lent.  A carnival worker IS a "carny" or" carney" whether or not that person eats meat!

       (My Connie, not carney, DOES...eat meat.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment