Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Typewriter Laureate


        I suppose I shouldn’t marvel that my computer keyboard alphabet with its three rows of letters hasn’t changed one whit since I first learned to type on our old Royal typewriter 57 years ago.

       Then as now I was interested in the sounds of language and couldn’t escape learning the names of the three rows of letters, at least as I pronounced them:

                 kware ty you ee ahp
                  ass dihf guh djihkl
                   zihx sihv bihnm

       How could I help saying them?  I saw them every time I looked down at the keyboard.  So do you.

       If the above reads strangely to you, here it is “in the life”:

                 qwertyuiop   
                  asdfghjkl
                   zxcvbnm

How do you recite it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment