Friday, May 17, 2013

Starting a Conversation, How Hard Is It?


       Not sure the source of this dream.  Maybe my friend Toby Lurie who always reminds me we are friends and who himself speaks with people readily and easily.  Or maybe my friend Marvin Holloway, who died this past year.   He was open and loquacious to all around him.

       Extraverts attract me, I guess, partly because I’m pretty introverted myself.

       The dream seemed to be saying to me (was I on an airplane, a stranger sitting next to me?), “Start a conversation.  Let the world in.  You’ll be pleased, surprised!”

       “Even when I have nothing to say?” I seemed to be thinking, “nothing, only dullness?”

       “Yes!” came back the dream.

       I turned to my seat-mate and asked, “Is this a dull moment?”   He smiled, and we began to converse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment