Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Self"


       In the dentist's office, I picked up Self magazine.

       I found my self resenting it.  Clearly it was a woman's magazine revolving around beauty and health and personal charm and making yourself sexy for men.  What?  Don't men have a "self"?

       If I can't sleep early in the morning, I meditate--following my breathing in and out--and on the outbreath, I say, "There's a self at the center of this breathing," which has often helped bring me back into my own life.

       But some Eastern religions question whether there is a self, encouraging thoughts that we may only come to our "self" when we allow it to disappear, when we fully attend to and are present for others and the world before us as it transpires...

       OK, ladies, you can keep the "SELF."  I disown it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment