Saturday, March 9, 2013

"Quiescently Frozen"


       "Quiescently frozen" appeared (and still appears) on the wrapper of those delightful confections on a stick, my favorite childhood brand being "Fudgesicle," a chocolaty brown frozen bar.  I never knew, and I never wondered what "quiescently frozen" meant.

       But it must have nagged a little because I recently found myself looking at an Eskimo "Fudge Bar" wrapper...and making a phone call. 

       The "Q. and A." man at the Eskimo Pie Company in Richmond, Virginia, told me it means "less than 10% air is whipped in" so that it has the right texture.  It's denser and colder than ice cream, for example, which has more air whipped in.  Little whipping for "quiescently frozen confections"; they just sit there and "quiesce," which, from Latin, means "be still."

       And now I shall do the same, quiesce, about my fondly remembered childhood dyslexia.
 

1 comment:

  1. "Be still" my heart as fudgesicle is mentioned and I transported back to warm days, .25 fudge bars at Darby Ave. School, and walking home with your daughter, Elizabeth. Those were great memories.

    ReplyDelete