Monday, October 24, 2016

"Menstruation." There I've Said It


       The HopKins Black Box Theatre of Louisiana State University sent me a brochure of their 2016-17 season.  A goodly number of interesting shows, but I suppose the one that caught my eye most astonishingly was one titled You Menstrual Me.
 
       The description of the show rewarded the surprise and curiosity aroused by the title:

     
       "Is menstruation outgrowing its taboo?  As the subject moves into the mainstream, what unspoken rules persist that shape our talk about it?  If you can't bring yourself to tell 'em you are menstruating, you can at least tell 'em you saw a menstrual show!"

     
       They've got my interest.  That description is written with self-awareness of the possible tension and eyebrow raising, which is then answered perfectly by the witty punning at the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment