Friday, June 26, 2015

SCOTUS Rules


       I should have known, guessed, recognized (but didn't) yesterday when I saw-heard the word SCOTUS.  It's like POTUS, which I learned from The Veep is short for President of the United States.

       Since Antony Scalia employed it, I might have figured (but didn't) that it meant Supreme Court of the United States.  In an enormous dig at the majority yesterday, Scalia "suggested" that along with the previous vote by the Court that favored the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare), the Court's favorable vote for it yesterday meant that the ACA might as well be called "SCOTUScare."

       As I say, I didn't catch it first time around, but then seeing it later as just printed, I realized the devilish Scalia might have intended not only to demean the ACA and the majority as out-of-line and unjust but to set forth that they were both very "scary."

       (Now I know that FLOTUS stands for "First Lady of the United States."  New to me also.)

       Merriam-Webster says SCOTUS was the first of these acronyms to be used, serving as an abbreviation in telegrams in the late 1800s; thence to be followed by other such fortunate(?) shortenings. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment