Friday, March 20, 2015

"Agreement" of Subject and Verb . . .Hmmmm


       I'm still hung up between wanting to say things the right way and realizing the normal course of language is change.

       Here's a TV HIGHLIGHT from the L.A. Times the other day:


       CRIMINAL MINDS  The fact that none of the victims of a Wisconsin serial killer have any apparent link to one another confounds the pattern-seeking Rossi . . .


       Knowing that "none" is short for "no one" and that it's the subject of the verb "have" troubles me. "None" is singular.  The plural "victims" is not the subject of the verb, sitting there as object of the preposition "of."  I think I'd change the verb to "has" and "one another" to "any other."  See what you think.

       But maybe I'm just a "pattern-seeking Rossi" confounded by natural changes toward comfortable expression.

       


No comments:

Post a Comment