Saturday, July 5, 2014

"Bustin' Out All Over": what Words and Music can make you do


        It's the Fourth of July, yes, but I am recalling how a few days or so ago, I was happily singing, "June is busting out all over," and it was.   But when I went on,

          All over the meadows and the hills
          And the rockin' river creepers
          Are scaring the bejeepers
          Out of every morning glory on the hill,

Connie said, I don't think that's right.

       I sang it again today and said to myself, OK I'll look it up.  Seems I jammed together a couple stanzas of Rodgers and Hammerstein, maybe altered a word or two:

          June is bustin' out all over
          All over the meadow and the hill!
          Buds're bustin' outa bushes
          And the rompin' river pushes
          Ev'ry little wheel that wheels beside the mill!

          June is bustin' out all over
          The feelin' is gettin' so intense,
          That the young Virginia creepers
          Hev been huggin' the bejeepers
          Outa all the mornin' glories on the fence!
          Because it's June...


The point is:  It's got a rhythm, it's got a rhyme, it's got a mood and a tune that express the spirit of a burgeoning, bright, never-ending, ever-lengthening June Day--and you've got to sing it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment