Saturday, July 6, 2013

The "Patient's Belongings"


       Getting deeper into summer reminds me of going to Kaiser for an emergency two summers ago.  While being examined for dizziness, I renewed my anger at the "Patient's Belongings" bag supplied me.

       There were no problems discernible in heart, brain, or blood--hence vertigo due probably to slightly calcifying cilia, little hairs in inner ear, which help control balance. Best available medicine, meclizine, same one buys to prevent airplane stuffed ears or dizziness! I had had the worrisome symptom for five days, so it was time to attend to it.
 
       But there it was, a term I remembered from years before.  You feel you 're already dead when you see a bag imprinted "Patient's Belongings."  Connie recalled the usage: "His belongings were distributed to next of kin"!

       At least it didn't say "Deceased's Belongings."

1 comment:

  1. Love this one. As a former ER medic, the "belongings" bag was a constant reminder to me, at least, that we are all just passing through this world, and in the end, we are simply a plastic bag, a vessel of sorts...

    ReplyDelete