Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cutting Through Grammatical Awkwardness


       On a wonderful nature calendar sent to me, winning nature photographs from competitors are published by the Nature Conservancy.

       Each photo has words about nature by the winner and usually praise for the work of the Conservancy.  All this is well except for the last sentence of one winner who has just said she supports the N.C.: "Their work continues to leave the world in a better state than which they found it. "

       She may have been trying to avoid ending the sentence with the preposition "in", but she got herself kind of tangled. The solution here is to simply delete the word "which," and it makes perfectly good and clear English.

1 comment:

  1. what I love about you, Don, and your blog is that I take some little piece of information and realize I am still a student, and you are my teacher. xxoo

    ReplyDelete