Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Last Candidate STAnding?


       "Stamina" became an "issue" in the first presidential debate this week.   Hillary won out over Trump in that exchange after he said he didn't believe she had enough stamina to be president.

        Physical and/or mental strength, staying power:  stamina.

       This interested me particularly because it's a word I hadn't thought of when I was trying to name the admirable qualities that characterized each of two similar men I knew.  What I realized was they all began the same way:

              "stable," "stalwart," "steady," "staunch"

When I looked up the Indo-European root for such words, it was sta.  The basic meaning?  "STAND."

       The "STAYing" qualities at the core of these words works perfectly.  "Stamina" fits right in with them and would also characterize either of the two men I had been thinking of.


       (You can find my original blog entry on the "sta" words here)
       (For the Hillary-Trump exchange and more on the origins of the word "stamina" from Merriam-Webster, please touch or click here.)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment