Monday, February 1, 2016

"Welcome. Please select your language."


       That phrase caught me as I went by a checkout stand in a CVS pharmacy.  A female voice, recorded, said, "Welcome. Please select your language." 

       "Wouldn't it be nice," I thought, "if, upon entering this world, we had a choice, could just select the language we preferred."  I guess my choice would have been French, knowing the sound of a lot of languages I've heard since.

       I've dealt with this once before in my blog entry Joy in the Sounds of French.  (I dedicate both of these posts to my French friend Marcel, whose birthday is February 3rd.)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Marcel! Also, and only tangentially related, did you know that CVS Pharmacies have their roots in Treasury Drug Stores - sibling to Treasure Dept. Stores? JC Penney owned Treasury. They eventually closed the Dept. stores, but kept the drug stores, which became Eckerds, and are now CVSes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I enjoy hearing all types of spoken language (my father's Irish brogue in particular), I must admit here and now that when calling customer service, my blood boils when I hear press one for English. I am left wondering - If you don't speak English, then how do you know to press one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. or press any other number for that matter?

    ReplyDelete