Friday, October 4, 2013

Artistry with Words


       Toby Lurie is a long time friend and poet/painter who, like Feodor Voronov (my blog two days ago), incorporates language into his art.  I knew Toby first as a poet and performer, but he's been an avid painter also now for over twenty years.

click on image to enlarge
    This gives you an idea of how Toby can make his poetry a basis for his painting, the visual helping express the spirit of the words.

    It's called "I Will Not Be Confined," acrylic on canvas.




     This one's called "From My Journals," mixed media on canvas.


       Toby's journals, densely cross-hatched and barely legible, form a background for the other work and colors done atop them.  The writing's not meant to be read, but, something like Voronov's words, meant to be an integral part of the overall design and composition.

       To me this is both fun and artistry...with language.  Visit Toby's website here.       

No comments:

Post a Comment