Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Talking to My Students" by Michael L. Newell

     
        I was catching up on my former student, present friend's, poems, which he sends me by email (has sent me for years).  A good spate of poems.   Some of them tempted me to want to read them aloud on my blog.  Michael emailed me his blessing if I were tempted enough.  So here's one:

                                TALKING TO MY STUDENTS
 

                    Words stream through my mouth, a channel                
                    for voices I had forgotten: there's my father,
                    how did he get in there--I thought I had left
                    him at the ancestral home and moved myself
                    on down the road; there's old Bob lecturing
                    my drama class--why the sneaky bastard even
                    slips into my English classes where he has no
                    territorial rights; Ben, dead and buried, brings
                    his ascetic haunted face and voice, his moral
                    clarity, into my discussions--softly scolding
                    my lack of rigor; singing a song, there is Joseph
                    smiling, nodding encouragement, making sure
                    I  keep time accurately, hit the right notes,
                    remember the melody, treat the lyrics with respect;
                    I have become a river where streams merge--dozens
                    of friends, teachers, relatives, colleagues, students,
                    even an occasional enemy, have filled me
                    with their thoughts, their words, their rhythms; I am
                    a typical American, mongrel to the core, never one,
                    always many, never pure, always a mixture
                    of contradictory traits which strengthen one another;
                    my current carries with it the debris of every life
                    which has brushed up against me; my voice, I tell
                    the faces in front of me, is not my own, it belongs
                    to every person I have known; it belongs to you.


                    Michael L. Newell

 


     
      

2 comments:

  1. Oh dearest DON: One of the purest joys in my life is to hear the voices of people I love. I would trade so much for a few moments to simply hear my own Daddy's Irish brogue. But, alas, GOD works in mysterious ways. Perhaps knowing my lonely heart's desire and dream, GOD instead bequeaths me a gift just as fine and loving; your voice. A voice that is gentle, kind and so easy to hear. Your voice, the voice of a father figure, brings tears to my eyes. How blessed I am to hear a voice with such clarity,a voice that resonates so much love and a voice that allows the author, Mr. Newell's poem/story to be told, then felt deep within me. You, DON, are the answer to my prayers, and I rejoice that GOD brought me a minute of my own Daddy's voice, within your beautifully spoken words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,

    I just listened to you read this amazing poem by Mike. You read it with all the rills & ghosts that are a part of you. Beautiful. So glad you and Mike keep in touch after all these years, from halfway across the globe.

    This poem also reminded me of Raymond Carver's poem, "Where Water Comes Together With Other Water."

    Love,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete